Experts agree that high protein diet plan isn’t harmful as long as it followed for not more than three to four moths. Someone who sticks to the diet may help with weight loss. Those proponents commonly incorporate the diet plan with moderate or low carbohydrates diet. According to the WebMD.com, foods with high protein content tend to be able to satisfy hunger better than carbohydrates and fats.
If you are planning to follow a high protein diet, meet a certified dietitians or health practitioner first. Ask a professional advice whether the diet fits to you. If the dietitian says so, try to choose the protein wisely. Choose fresh skinless chicken, lean pork or beef, fish, and low fat dairy products rather than processed meat such as beacon, ham, or hotdog. Consider to picks plant-base protein source such as tofu, tempeh, and mushroom.
Health practitioners are also suggest to incorporating foods that rich in dietary fiber such as non-starchy vegetables, low carb fruits, and whole grains. People with special condition such as those with diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease or a pregnant woman should not jump in the high protein diet plan except under doctor evaluation.
High protein diet risks
Those who follow a high protein diet plan with low carbohydrates intake will experience a different cellular level metabolic state called ketosis, a condition whereas the body is use fats as fuel rather than carbohydrates. In prolonged time, experts reveal that ketosis state may cause health problems, including:
1. High cholesterol. It’s a common knowledge that animal-base foods such as red meat, whole dairy products, and processed meat are highly contain cholesterol compared to plant-base foods. Consuming high amount of those foods lead to high cholesterol level, which are strongly related to an increased risk of getting heart-related disease, stroke, including cancer.
2. Kidney failure. As a result of protein metabolism, it creates waste that can burdened kidney work. This condition may lead to the kidney disease or in the long run may cause kidney failure.
3. Cancer. Our body is needs various vitamins, minerals, fiber, including antioxidants to maintain overall body function. Some studies reveal that antioxidant hemp us to stay away from cancer development. Those ho follow high protein diet with low carb menus, naturally will far away from those antioxidants and fiber and may trigger cancer development.
4. Osteoporosis. Those who follow the diet show to excrete more calcium in their urine compared to the others. This condition may increase the risk of kidney stone and osteoporosis development.
5. Ketones development. As stated above, low carb diet with high protein intake will compel the body to enter a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis. This ketosis metabolism use fats in our body as fuel rather than carbohydrates. The ketones, as ketosis metabolism side product may cause organs to fail, kidney stones, gout, bad breath, and nausea.
Following high protein diet plan isn’t causes any side effect if it followed in short time period. Those with diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease and pregnant women should not take the diet except it’s allowing by a certified health practitioner. Following the diet plan without expert assistance may lead to dangerous health problems such as kidney failure, cancer, high cholesterols level, and osteoporosis.