Varicose veins are the veins that are oddly dilated, distorted and twisted, found on or close to the skin surface. In some cases, these are quite painful due to the high level of blood pooling in the veins. Varicose veins are found in many areas of the body but mainly these are found on legs, feet and ankle. It is due to the reason that the pressure in the veins of legs increased due to constant walking or standing. They are also termed as spider veins and can be very problematic to many as it leads to a very uncomfortable state. The risk of having varicose veins increases with age and the problem runs in the family from one generation to another.
Veins play important role in blood circulation as they take blood to the heart for recirculation. The causes of varicose veins are:
1. Age and hereditary: Spider veins occur in old age as the elasticity of the veins decreases required to stretch veins. The problem can be hereditary too as it runs in families. As the valves of the veins get rigid, these stop the flow of blood towards the heart. Blood gets pooled in the veins making these enlarged and filled with stagnant blood, depriving the associated supplied body areas from essential nutrients. The purple color of the varicose veins appears due to high levels of deoxygenated blood.
2. Overweight or pregnancy: This is also the main issue and many pregnant ladies suffer with varicose veins. The quantity of blood during pregnancy increases and blood flow from legs to pelvis gets slow. The formation of varicose veins is basically the side effects and mostly occurs in the late trimester of pregnancy. The condition is easily cured within three to twelve months without taking any medication.
3. Deep vein thrombosis is also a major cause of varicosities.
In most of the cases, varicose veins are not painful but there are some indications that signals pain and include: veins in purple or dark blue color, swollen veins, visible twisted cord like veins, heaviness, aching, brown color skin near ankle, itching around the vein, inflammation, scaling and skin ulcer on ankle.
Home based remedies
Some lifestyle changes and natural remedial measures can reduce the pain, swelling or discomfort of the patient having varicose veins. These measures are also used for preventing the condition, and include:
1. Leg associated exercises for proper circulation of the blood
2. Taking less salt to decrease the swelling by keeping blood pressure controlled
3. Reduction of weight to eliminate the excess pressure on the leg veins
4. Avoiding high heel shoes, tight clothes like leggings, raising legs after every hour, not sitting or standing at one place for long time, avoid sitting with crossed legs and do frequent movements of the legs are quite helpful in curing this ailment.
To counter the varicose veins, self-care is mandatory. Treatments that are commonly prescribed by doctors include sclerotheraphy, laser surgery, catheter assisted procedures, vein removal and grafting, ambulatory phlebectomy and endoscopic vein surgery.