Is simple to make a natural cough suppressant, all you have to do is grabbing some of natural ingredients and combining those components to create a side effects free cough suppressant. First of all, before you run into herbal store or groceries to get the ingredients, you need to identify your cough type. Experts classify common cough into two main categories, the productive and non-productive cough.
Your cough classified to productive when it accompanied with mucus production (this mucus also known as sputum or phlegm) this type of cough usually caused by viral illness, infections such as bronchitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis, and sinusitis. Other causes of productive cough are including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and chronic lung disease.
Meanwhile, non-productive or dry cough is a cough that does not produce mucus. Most of this health problem starts to develop at the end of common cold and when someone exposed to irritant agent such as smoke or dust. Other causes of a dry cough are including allergies, viral illness, blockage of the airways and asthma.
If your cough caused by chronic infection, lung disease, and GERD, this natural cough suppressant won’t work, you will need more advance medical treatment and you should go to a doctor soon to get serious medical treatment. If your cough is caused by mild viral infection, cold, asthma, or allergy the home remedy cough suppressant may help you to alleviate the ailment. Below is some of it recipes.
5 Natural cough suppressant recipes
1. To relieve productive cough, you can try to mix 1 tablespoon honey, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons water, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper. Mix all those ingredients in a glass. If you have a very bad productive cough, take 3 teaspoons at the first time twice a day. You can adjust the dose depend on your cough condition.
2. To relieve dry cough, you can soak 7 pieces of almond in water overnight, in the morning, remove the skin and crush the almond into a paste form. Add 2 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoon of sugar. Stir the mixture well until all the sugar dissolves. This recipe should be taken twice a day.
3. As alternative to those recipes above, you can make hot tea with ginger juice and honey on it. This simple recipe is a popular and simple way to alleviate the cough. You may also make hot lemon juice with honey to relieve sore throat.
4. Dry air commonly makes your cough getting worse, use steamer in your room to create moist air. Inhaling steam is also known as a cough reliever. Adding lemon juice or few drop of eucalyptus or tea tree oil will boost the healing effect of the steam.
5. Boil a quart of water in a saucepan, add 2 tablespoon of dried elecampane root and let it boil for 20 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey. Stir the mixture and strain before you drink this natural cough suppressant.