Post nasal drip treatment is needed for who experience serious sinusitis or rhinitis. The condition itself can occur when an excessive mucus production as an effect of sinusitis or rhinitis accumulates in the back of nose or in the throat. If this post nasal drip is not treated well it could cause bad breath as a result of infection.
The excessive mucus on your throat is a complex of protein which can a comfort home for bacteria, viral or fungal. Once the bacteria infect the mucus, it can lead to a bad breath. Bacteria using the protein as their food by breaking the protein and create the bad smell as an effect.
The treatment is focused on managing the mucus production, and removing the infection from your throat. There are different techniques to manage the condition,
Post nasal drip treatment in detail
1. To deal with bacterial infection on the mucus, a broad-range antibiotics are commonly use. The goal of this post nasal drip treatment is to destroy bacteria and to relieve the pain without destructing your immune system.
2. If the mucus production is caused by allergy, then the doctor commonly will prescribed decongestants and antihistamines, steroid and cromolyn to overcome the allergy effect. For several cases an immunotherapy also may help.
3. Nasal irrigation may recommend to decreasing the thickened mucus. This step can be performed 2-4 times a day. Lukewarm water with salt or baking soda may use as an irrigating water.
4. A simple and inexpensive post nasal drip treatment can be done by drinking more water, avoiding diuretics and caffeine consumption. Consume extra water will help thinning the mucus.
5. Steroid spray may be use under a medical supervision, it because significant side-effect can occur. This type of medication must be monitored once it use for more than a week.