Multiple sclerosis diet plan considered as one of the disease symptoms management. This multiple sclerosis is classified as irreversible disease which means the damage will not recover and stay for the rest of patient life. Medical treatments are focused to slow the impact of the disease and to manage the symptoms of the disease. For prolonged treatment and minimize the signs, specific diet plan is often prescribed by medical experts.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms start to attack when human body’s immune system hit wrong target, they ‘chew’ away myelin, the protective cover of human nerve cells. The main cause of the disease is still unknown. Those with the disease commonly have symptoms such as weakness and numbness at limb area, blurring or double vision, electric-shock sensation on head, and pain or tingling sensation in several part of the body.
The main idea of multiple sclerosis diet is to cut saturated fats intake without leaving a balanced diet menu. People with MS are encourages to choose more vegetables and plants food menu rather than animals base foods plan. Some of expert recommend to become ‘fishy flexitarian’, which more closer to vegetarian diet plan but allow to consume animal products base in several eating time.
Multiple sclerosis diet tips
1. Reduce animal base fats intake. These foods are rich in saturated fat. Including to this group is margarine and dairy product. As substitute foods, someone may consume unsaturated fats come from avocado, olive oil, safflower oil and sunflower oil.
2. As protein source, someone with multiple sclerosis diet may consume seafood (in moderation of course), skinless chicken meat, and fish. Those of foods are less in unhealthy fats. Match the amount of proteins need to food pyramid for balanced diet plan.
3. Avoid excess sugar consumption. Focus on nature made sweetener sources such as honey, and fruits juice. Remove any foods that you are allergic with. Talk to the doctor, they will help you to identify which foods can trigger allergic reaction and which foods are save to consume.
4. Increase fruits and vegetables consumption. Many fruits and vegetables are loaded with essential vitamins and minerals. People with multiple sclerosis diet may also consume multivitamins and mineral to fulfill the need of those micronutrients.
5. Drink six to eight glass of water everyday. Most people with MS disease are more prone to dehydration, so just make sure that you drink adequate fluid intake. Alcoholic beverages, coffee, and tea should be consumed with moderation.