Our body needs potassium in adequate amount. It should not too lower or too higher as well or may disrupt the body functions. Studies reveal that low level potassium correlated with several disorders such as stroke, hearth disease, diabetes, and hypertension, high potassium diet can help rise the amount of this chemical substance. Other researches claim that maintaining potassium in normal level improves the function of insulin and help reduce the risk of anxiety and depression.
Someone who has low level potassium in their blood is strongly suggested to follow high potassium diet. This is so important since potassium with sodium play important role in regulating heartbeat and blood pressure. It also helps our body to develop proteins from its building blocks, amino acids. This potassium helps in regulating the formation of glycogen from glucose. The decreasing amount of potassium may lead to symptoms including muscle fatigue or cramping, hallucination, and feeling extremely tired.
Pregnant women and adolescences need more potassium. Hence, they also recommended to follows high potassium diet. Pregnant women need it for fetus development and adolescences need it for developing strong bones and muscles. Below are foods list that strongly advised as the diet component,
Top foods for high potassium diet
1. Fruits, especially fruit juice and dried fruits are commonly rich in potassium. Fruits that considered as the mineral source are dried apricot, dried raising, banana, cantaloupe, peaches, and papaya.
2. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, vegetables such as pinto beans, and lima are loaded with high dose of potassium. To get normal body function we need it more than 700 milligrams per day. Consuming those beans at least a cup per day can fulfill adequate amount of potassium.
3. Consuming dairy products such as fresh milk and yoghurt can automatically raises our potassium levels. You may consume those dairy products directly or combine it with other foods. Yoghurt and banana shake is an example or you can mix the fresh milk with cereal or oatmeal.
4. The benefit of grains is not only about the potassium, it also contain iron and fiber which very important for our body. Grain also loaded with vitamins especially vitamin B. In a suggested serving, oatmeal contains 175 milligram potassium.
5. Nuts not only consist of ‘healthy fat’ but yes it also contains potassium besides dietary fiber. Try to add those nuts including cashews, almonds, hazelnut, and pumpkin seeds in your high potassium diet.
Remember to discuss your condition to certified dietitian before you decide to follow the diet. If you regularly experience tired, muscle fatigue, or muscle cramping is not always caused by low level of potassium. Meet a doctor to get a proper diagnose first. Once the doctor confirm that your potassium level is low, then you are good to go.