Metabolic syndrome diet is considered as the best way to prevent and deal with the syndrome. It because most of the syndrome that come in many way as a result of wrong lifestyle choices such as wrong types and amounts of foods, prolonged stress, and not exercising in regular base. By managing healthy and balance nutrient combine with healthy lifestyle and regular work out, someone could have great chance to far miles away from metabolic syndrome.
Before we talk deeper about metabolic syndrome diet, let’s take a look on the syndrome definition first. Several condition that related to body inflammation and abdominal fat including unhealthy cholesterol level, increased blood pressure, high triglycerides level, high blood sugar and salt level, and obesity. When it occurs all together or exist at least more than one signs, then it classify as metabolic syndrome.
The existence of the elements leads to the greater risk of getting serious condition including heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. According to WebMD.com, those who have the syndrome elements may double the risk of getting heart and blood vessel disease including strokes and heart attack. The elements also increase the risk of getting diabetes by five times.
The metabolic syndrome diet in action
1. Increase dietary fiber intake. Choose whole grain products rather than refined flour products. Eat more fresh vegetables and fruits rather that commercially processed fruits and vegetables, they usually contain excessive preservatives. Fresh fruits and vegetables are rich in dietary fiber that makes you fell fuller for longer time.
2. Fulfill your daily vitamins and mineral through fresh and organic fruits and vegetables. Consider to consuming multivitamins and minerals supplement if it needed. Besides vitamins, several fruits such as grapes and berries are rich in antioxidants.
3. Choose unsaturated fats rather than saturated and trans-fats. Use olive oil, and canola oil as salad dressing. Avoid hydrogenated fats such as margarine, Crisco, and butter. They are rich is saturated and trans-fats which related to increased cholesterol level and obesity.
4. The metabolic syndrome diet also recommends consuming more foods with omega-3 fatty acids such as fresh tuna, salmon, mackerel, and hearing. Those good fatty acid help in lowering risk of getting heart disease and strokes. You may also consider to taking omega-3 fatty acids supplements from fish oil. Walnuts, soybean, and flaxseed are also rich in healthy fatty acids.
5. Avoid red meat and animal fats. Red meats are high in bad cholesterol meanwhile animal fats are loaded with saturated fats. Choose fresh fish rather than red meat.
6. Those who following a metabolic syndrome diet plan should moderate your alcohol consumption to 1 serving per day if you a woman, and 2 serving per day if you a man. Excessive alcohol use leads to irritate digestive tract and may cause digestive related problems. Choose low calorie mixer if you enjoy mixed cocktails. Replace beers with juice gradually.
7. Make sure to get adequate fluid intake. Choose plain water rather than sodas, tea, and coffee. Drink at least 8 glass of plain water every day.
The metabolic syndrome diet combined healthy lifestyle, balance nutrients, and regular exercise to avoiding metabolic syndrome. Discuss with your doctor or a certified dietitian to get a whole and complete guidance about healthy and balanced diet plan.