Hypoglycemia refers to a medical condition where the glucose level in the bloodstream drops radically. People who regularly experience this condition are strongly recommended to follow a diet for hypoglycemia. Naturally glucose is easiest molecule to convert into calories so in other word, this glucose is just like a fuel to our body. Reducing the amount of glucose below the normal level can disrupt normal function of whole body systems. Untreated hypoglycemia may lead to coma even death.
This low blood glucose condition may affect to anyone. Normal people who have no disease may experience this circumstance when do lot of heavy of work without any calories source intake. People with diabetes are more prone to this condition since the drugs and diet for diabetes treatment can interfere the glucose level in the blood. This is the reason that people who in diabetes treatment also suggested to follow this diet for hypoglycemia as a part of long-term treatment.
Diet for hypoglycemia foods component
1. Meal pattern. Someone with hypoglycemia diet should correct their meal schedule. Since they are prone to low glucose level, they should commit to take small but frequent meal to counter the hypoglycemia symptoms. Choose to eat small meal with equal time interval rather than take 3 big meals a day.
2. Essential proteins. Protein plays an important role in cells and tissue development. People with the diet also should not remove foods with protein from their menu. Choose nut, legumes, and fish to fulfill your protein need. Eggs are also allowed to consume as protein source.
3. Whole grain. Including to this foods are oatmeal, barley, brown bread, and whole-wheat flour. These foods loaded with complex carbohydrates which digested slowly and give the body glucose source that release to the blood at a slow rate and help to maintain the level of glucose in the bloodstream. Refined foods are not recommended because it contains high glucose.
4. Dairy products. Some of dairy products such as cheese and butter are loaded with vitamins and mineral so those foods are good as diet for hypoglycemia nutrition source. Milk and its derivates also play as good protein source.
5. Fresh fruits and vegetables. A fruit salad which made with grapes, apples, strawberries, cherries and pear is a perfect as diet for hypoglycemia salad. Those of fruits are loaded with high soluble dietary fiber. Expert also believe that those fruits may lowers the rate of glucose absorption and maintain the normal level of glucose in the blood.
Image: The New York Times