Lactose intolerance diet is probably needed by people who experience lactose intolerance. The condition refers to inability to digest and metabolize lactose or milk sugar, a type of sugar found in milk. In normal people, lactose intake will be metabolized by lactase, the enzyme which responsible to break down the lactose, however 75% of adults in the world have less lactase activity during adulthood.
The condition usually not deadly but the symptoms of lactose intolerance may very annoying. Including to the symptoms are intestinal discomfort such as abdominal pain, nausea, bloating, and diarrhea. The signs may appear 30 minutes to 2 hours after the intake and the symptoms range from mild to severe depend on the amount of lactose consumed and lactase in the body. Lactose intolerance diethelps people to manage the symptoms from being severe.
Tings to consider for who apply the lactose intolerance diet:
- Know the foods that contain lactose. The following food dairy products are contains same amount of lactose in half cup of milk: ½ cup of sour cream, ½ cup of ice cream, 85 gr. of processed cheese, ¼ cup of evaporated milk and 2 tablespoon of condensed milk.
- Know the foods contain small amount of lactose, be aware of these foods and make sure it will not harm you once you consume it. Including to this group is cream cheese, butter, and cottage cheese.
- Always read the food label carefully, some of foods may contain lactose in small amount. Make sure to read ingredients label even foods like chocolate, breads cordial, waffles, pancake, biscuit, instant potatoes, potatoes chips, processed meet, such bacon, sausage, hot dogs, margarine, protein powders and bar, non-dairy whipped toppings and salad dressings.
- Please be aware, if you read any following components on food label, the product contain lactose: milk, whey, lactose, dry milk solids, curds, and non-fat dry milk powder. Please notice that the lactose may also use as a mixture in some drugs or prescription medicine including birth control pills.
- You may use lactaid as a complement every time you eat dairy. Lactaid is an enzyme to help digest milk sugar in dairy.
- Try to consume lactose-free milk such as Lacteeze. Some “lactose-reduced” still contain small amount of the substance, so make sure to read the label before consume it.
- People with lactose intolerance diet usually face less calcium intake problem, since daily product is one of the best sources of calcium. So you may need calcium supplements to fulfill the need. Beside the supplement, you may also consume calcium fortified orange juice or calcium fortified soy milk to ensure adequate calcium intake.
- Read meat, fish, eggs, mushroom, fruit, rice, pasta can be enjoyed on lactose free diet, don’t be afraid to enjoy it.