Health practitioners identified itchy skin as an uncomfortable and irritating sensation the encouraging us to scratch the itch area. When we talk about the cause of this annoying condition, there are so many of possibility causes. It can be connected to skin problem or it could be the result of internal disease such as kidney failure or liver disease.
When you feel itchy on a part of your body, it may occur in small specific area such as on back or arm, or it may hit your whole body. It can characterize by specific noticeable condition such as bump or blister, redness, cracked or leathery texture to the skin, but also it come without any noticeable signs.
Identifying the main cause of itchy skin is very important for a complete treatment. When you experience a persistence itchy skin, try to treat the condition with home base treatment first, but when if the itch still persists, meet your doctor to get a proper diagnosis and medical treatment.
What are the common causes of itchy skin?
1. Allergic reactions. Itchy skin is the most common symptoms of allergic reaction including food allergies. Those with sensitive skin may also experience itchy when their skin exposed to strong chemical agents that can irritate the skin. In many cases insect bites can also causes itchy at the sting site.
2. Dry skin or xerosis that caused by environmental factor including hot and cold water or low humidity area can trigger the itch on your skin. Usually this condition isn’t accompanied with noticeable signs. Long-term use of air conditioner, bathing or washing too much can also cause the itchy.
3. Internal disease such as celiac disease, liver disease, cancer, anemia, lymphoma, including kidney failure can cause this annoying problem. Those who have the internal disease may found the itch as one of the symptoms of the disease.
4. Nerve disorders such as shingles, multiple sclerosis, pinched nerves and diabetes mellitus those conditions can cause itching on the skin.
5. Pregnancy. Not all women experience this, but some of them may experience itchy skin during their pregnancy. The most common affected areas are including breast, arm, thighs, and abdomen.
6. According to mayoclinic.com, in some patient, reaction to drugs such as antifungal drugs, antibiotics and narcotic pain medication may result rashes or redness that accompanied with itching.
7. Skin condition such as scabies, lice, eczema, psoriasis, hives, chickenpox, and dermatographism cause itch on the skin area. Usually the itching is accompanied with bump or blister signs and affects specific area.
How to treat Itchy skin?
For mild to moderate condition, you may try home remedies for your condition by keeping skin moisturize if it caused by over dry environment. Over the counter anti-itch cream such as hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion may soothe your itching. Itchy that caused by allergic reaction mild allergic reaction can be treated by antihistamine drugs.
For extremely severe itchy skin such as affected your whole body or it accompanied by other symptoms such as unknown weight loss, nausea, fever, or urinary frequency, meet your doctor soon for medical assistance.