Be aware of the bad snacks. Those tempted foods are usually unhealthy and may contribute to diabetes and childhood obesity. According to a diabetes educator and dietitian at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Netty Levine, RD, CDE, as stated in the WebMD.com, she says snacking is not an evil thing. In fact, the proper and healthy snacks are good and may help kids to avoid overeating during their mealtime, she added.
According to a study result, snacking during the school day can improve kids’ concentration, mood, and motivation. She also says that snacking helps kids to maintain their concentration during time of high concentration demand such as making a class presentation, exam, or on sport activities.
When you choose snacks for your kids, choose it wisely. There are uncountable snacks on the market, some of them are good and healthy, but some of them may contain evil things such as high sugar content, preservative, unhealthy fats, and sodium. Consuming those snacks in the long run it may relate to childhood obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and hearth-related disease and stroke. Below are five healthy after-school snacks for your kids,
Healthy after-school snack for kids ideas
1. Fresh fruit smoothies. Mix fresh fruit such as berries or banana, fresh juice and low-fat low sugar yogurt.
2. Healthy banana pops are better rather than ice cream sandwiches. To make simple banana pops, get ready banana, plain or flavored low-fat yogurt, and breakfast cereal or low-fat granola. Peels the banana, dip it in yogurt, rolls in crushed cereal or granola, put in freezer for refreshing banana pops.
3. Healthy sandwich. Choose whole grain bread, lean meat or fish, and low-fat cheese. Avoid bread made with refined flour and fatty meat.
4. Whole grain crackers serve with shredded low fat cheddar, and salsa. As additional serving you may combine those crackers with fresh and ready to eat vegetables such as celery sticks, baby carrots, and strips of red or green pepper.
5. Mandarin orange and grapes. This is just like a fruit salad with grapes and mandarin orange on it. It’s easy to make, just grab some of fruits and mix them in a bowl. You may also add strawberries or blueberries on it.
6. Dried veggie chips. It’s fun and easy to make. You can choose various vegetables such as cucumber, spinach, cabbage, or other green leafy vegetables. To make those dehydrated vegetables chips you’ll need a dehydrator, or just a regular oven. Put spinach leafs or super thin cucumber slices on a pan and sprinkled with sea salt, put those vegetables in dehydrator for a night