Experts agree that psoriatic arthritis symptoms can be cured permanently but we can manage the symptoms so it doesn’t disrupt patient’s daily life. There are several medical treatments to reduce flare up such as Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, TNF-alpha inhibitors, and immunosuppressant medications.
Besides those medical treatments, experts may also suggest alternative or natural treatments to tame the arthritis. Several lifestyles changing may also help reduce the flare up. Below are home remedies for those with the disease. Please note, you need to talk with a health provider first to make sure about your condition.
Top home remedies for psoriatic arthritis sufferers
1. Fish oil. It known for many years that fish oil contains anti-inflammatory substance. According to mayoclinic.com, fish oil reduce the presence of protein that causing inflammation. Expert suggests the sufferers to consume 2,000 to 3,000 milligrams of fish oil a day, if needed. According to a study result, Eskimo population is statistically has lower incidence both rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis, expert guesses it related to genetic matter or regular and high consumption of fish oil.
2. Acupuncture. This ancient technique has been use for pain management for hundreds of year, latter this needles involve treatment uses to manage the pain caused by psoriatic and rheumatoid arthritis at specific places such as knees or fingers.
3. Turmeric extract. This ginger family member has been known to have anti-inflammatory property and may ease the pain caused by the disease. Some people who use turmeric to treat their condition feel significant improvement but some other they don’t notice enough its benefit in relieving the symptoms.
4. Vitamin D. Most of psoriatic arthritis sufferers are also has vitamin D deficiencies. It still unclear what is the connection between vitamin D deficiencies and this immune disorder. According to health.com, a study has reported that consuming vitamin D may decrease in joint pain. Further researches are needed to ensure the effect of vitamin D to the disease.
5. Maintain a normal weight. Several studies have connected obesity with joint pain. The overweight burden the joints. Those people with rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic should maintain their normal body weight to reduce the flare up of their pain caused by the disease. The best ways to maintain healthy weight are by consuming healthy diet base on specific calories intake and regular exercises.
6. Applying cold and hot packs. Applying hot or cold treatment may reduce the pain caused by the disease. The cold pack help to numb the joint meanwhile the heat pack helps relieve pain and relax tense muscle.