Bacterial meningitis symptoms start to appear when an infection on the membranes that covering spinal cord and brain occur. Commonly Streptococcus pnuemoniae, the bacteria which infect the spinal and brain membrane, come from bloodstream and reach the membranes. The signs of bacterial meningitis are varies from person to person and depend on stage and severity.
This condition can affect to any body with any ages, men and women. Compared to viral meningitis, this bacterial caused meningitis are commonly more severe. Someone who has viral meningitis usually recover in 7-10 days with totally rest, meanwhile who experience the bacterial caused of meningitis should more careful. Reported in the United States, about 10 percent of those who gets the disease die.
Common early bacterial meningitis symptoms
1. High Fever. The sufferers of bacterial meningitis generally experience specific body temperature changes. Base on the Merck Manuals, this condition is different depend of the ages. People with the condition that older than two years commonly develop a high temperature for an extended period of time, meanwhile the younger infants may experience high grade fever, remain normal or even decrease. Expert believes that the immune systems condition related to these conditions.
2. Head Ache. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, this head ache is one of the common bacterial meningitis symptoms along with fever. This sign usually start to appear within hours to days after first infection and generally affects to adults and two rears old toddler and above.
3. Neck Stiffness. Several sufferers complain to experience neck stiffness, this condition called as meningismus. Patients who experience this condition fells tightness on muscles around the neck caused the limited neck moved. The pain sensation often hits once patients trying to lower the chin.
4. Sensitivity to light. According to MedlinePlus, several people with bacterial meningitis have experience sensitivity to bright light. The patients may feel discomfort upon being in a very bright area. Compared to previous early signs of bacterial meningitis, this sensitivity to light is rare.
5. Seizure. This one of bacterial meningitis symptoms is often accompanied by loss of consciousness. Almost of sufferers of the disease experience this seizure as the disease grows. Other symptoms may include bluish skin color or cyanosis, purple or red skin rash, vomiting and nausea.
Since bacterial meningitis symptoms are similar to the other conditions, proper diagnose from expert is important. Once you have one or more symptoms above and it stand for couple days, it would be better to meet your doctor soon.