Though rare, the banana allergy symptoms may appear in person who has allergy to avocado. This rare condition start to develop when the immune system or called antibody is negatively reacts with specific banana’s protein called chitinase creating allergic reaction. Those who are allergic to latex may also have a banana allergy and other foods such as chestnut, plum, strawberries, and tomatoes as well. This is because latex and those fruits contain similar proteins that can react negatively with human antibody.
Banana allergy symptoms usually create physical effects that related to mouth and digestive system disturbances. In several advance cases, it may lead to life-threatening condition called anaphylaxis. If you experience those signs right after consuming banana, meet your doctor as soon as possible to get a proper diagnose. Below are common symptoms in people with banana allergy:
Common banana allergy symptoms
1. Swelling is a common symptom of foods allergy including banana allergy. This condition might also accompanied with hives, itch, or redness on skin’s surface. The swelling usually affects to mouth. Chronic allergy reaction, the swelling may affect to the eyes and face area.
2. Mouth itching. This one of banana allergy symptoms may affect in the mouth area including tongue, lips and throat. The itching sensation may appear several minutes after eating banana and may radiate to the mouth and eyes. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, people who allergy to ragweed may also have banana allergy.
3. Abdominal pain. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, the allergy can cause gastrointestinal problem including abdominal pain. Besides abdominal pain, it may trigger nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramping after eating bananas.
4. Respiratory organ problems. Including to this symptom is swelling at the tongue, throat, and sinus areas. This signs may resulting breath and swallow difficulty. Those who experience this condition should receive medical treatment as soon as possible to avoid a severe and life-threatening condition.
5. In advance but rare condition, banana allergy may result a life-threatening called anaphylaxis. This condition will require medical assistance immediately since may cause restrict blood oxygen level, weak or racing hearth beat, and sudden loss of consciousness.
Those who experience banana allergy symptoms should avoid bananas and its derivatives, including other foods that contain similar allergens. When someone gets the symptoms, meet the doctor as soon as possible to get a proper diagnose and medical treatment. To treat mild allergic reaction, doctor commonly prescribe antihistamine drugs.